UC-AFT (American Federation of Teachers) is holding a teach out. This was recently released:
The National New Majority Faculty Day
Thursday, April 30th 2009
12 – 1pm, UCSC Baytree Plaza
* Fight Cuts & Defend Quality Education including Community Studies and other vital UCSC programs
* Demand Justice for Lecturers, Librarians, TA’s, and Campus Staff who are under attack by budget cuts and misplaced priorities
* Prioritize Students who are tired of paying more but getting less
On April 30th faculty members at UC will be holding classes outside to draw attention to the fact that most of the people teaching in higher education do not have tenure and have limited academic freedom and job security.
The current budget situation exposes the vulnerability of non-senate faculty, as well as students, staff, and libraries. Students are paying more and more, but getting fewer course offerings, bigger class sizes, and decreased services.
It is time for UC to prioritize its education mission. Together, non-senate faculty, librarians, campus staff, and students will demand justice at UC.
Here’s how you can participate Thursday, April 30th:
• Come to the Teach-Out at 12 Noon at Baytree Plaza to help get our message out to the campus and the media
• Teach all or part of your classes outside to make the valuable work of Non-Senate faculty more visible*
• Spread the word about the Teach-Out to friends, colleagues, and students
* If your classes are M, W, F, we encourage you to hold class outdoors on Friday, May 1st (International Labor Day) instead.
for more information about this event you can contact UC-AFT field representative Allison Guevara: AGuevara.UCAFT [at] gmail.com